Monday, May 11, 2009

A Groundbreaking Moment

During my freshman year at UGA I was told our sorority house would be renovated. Nine years later, here we are, and by no small miracle, construction on the major renovation project has begun. Here is a picture of the construction trailer and the fencing that is up at the house now.

You're probably thinking that the title of this posting was chosen because earth has literally been turned at 397 S. Milledge. And while that is true, a further anomaly is occuring... I am blogging. For the first time in my life. This is what Gamma Phi has inspired. :)

My goal is to post at least weekly. I'll include pictures whenever possible because, let's be honest, that's really what we are all most interested in seeing... real, tangible progress! Serving on House Corporation Board (HCB) gives me incredible access to resources and I'll do my best to keep you in the loop, but feel free to post comments or questions.


The HCB President Michelle Hood Rosenthal describes the construction project in two phases, the first of which broke ground today:

"PHASE ONE began today and will be all new construction on the back of the house. This will include the new entry way, chapter room and vending closet on the first floor. The five new bedrooms and a bathroom on the second floor will be framed out and the plumbing/electrical will be completed. Phase one will also include redoing the parking lot and site as well as improving the overall electrical system, HVAC system and sprinkler systems for the entire house. Phase one will come to a stop for recruitment on August 1st and then resume with some finishing work when school starts to be completed by Christmas Break. The chapter room will have its certificate of occupancy by this deadline but the new second floor will not be used until the following school year.
"PHASE TWO will begin in May 2010 and this will be the renovation of the existing bedrooms on the second floor to tie them to the new construction. A laundry area on the first floor will also be included in phase two. The total project will be completed by recruitment in August 2010! Working this project into two phases allows the girls to live and have access to the house for the 2009-2010 school year."

Stay tuned. There is SO much more to post...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I pledged in 2000, and that's when I first heard we were going to renovate the house. I graduated in 2004, moved to Atlanta where I now live with my fellow UGA grad (and AKL advisor) hubby Eric. Since 2006, I've been volunteering with HCB. I have been an Atlanta-area Realtor for the past 3 years and now also serve as the southeastern property manager for Chick-fil-A, Inc. You can reach me at: flowers.jennifer@gmail.com